Monday, November 5, 2007

My Sentimental Moment....

I was sipping my latte at Starbucks Coffee, Amcorp Mall yesterday when something interesting caught my attention. Not very far from where I sat, I saw a couple, whom I guess must be in their 60's, and the way they were holding hands and smiled to each other while browsing through the sunday flea market stalls really warmed my heart.

Very seldom I see elderly couples, especially malays, walk holding hands like that. There was tenderness in the way they regarded each other and I could almost feel it.

How I wish I have that kind of love when I am going through my golden years.


I found this poem, which was written by Ana Castillo and I think it's very beautiful:

I Ask the Impossible

I ask the impossible: love me forever
Love me when all desire is gone
Love me with the single mindedness of a monk
When the world in its entirety
and all that you hold sacred advise you against it
love me still more

When rage fills you and has no name: love me
When each step from your door to your job tires you: love me
and from job to home again, love me, love me

Love me when you're bored
when every woman you see is more beautiful than the last
or more pathetic, love me as you always have
not as admirer or judge
but with the compassion you save for yourself in your solitude
Love me as you relish your loneliness
the anticipation of your death
mysteries of the flesh
as it tears and mends

Love me as your most treasured childhood memory
and if there is none to recall
imagine one, place me there with you

Love me withered as you loved me new
Love me as if I were forever
and I, will make the impossible a simple act
by loving you, loving you as I do.

23 comments:

mastura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Kak Nana,
Love need more than just feeling; it need commitment. Don't you think so?

NaNa said...

RM,

I wish you didn't delete the post as I couldn't have said it any better.

NaNa said...

Akmal,

You are right, bro. In order for love to survive, it needs not only commitment but also trust.

Since you are still young, do choose who you want to spend your life with carefully. Don't choose someone who you can live with, but choose someone who you can't live without.

Pak Zawi said...

nana,
Was it me that you saw that day holding hands with my wife?

NaNa said...

Pak Zawi,

Hahaha.. if I kat Pasir Mas.. then I'm sure it must be you and your wife.. :)

If you still hold your wife's hand while walking, then keep it up. That is so sweet of you. Very seldom we see Malay couples who passed the age of 50 do that. Ramai yang too ego to show their affection.

Anonymous said...

well too bad, even yang muda sekarang pun tak nak buat macam tu,too ego to hold hands.Tapi kalau girlfriend o.k, but not to wife..........

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
NaNa said...

Malaysian and Melayu,

Firstly, i think you have commented in the wrong blog.

I don't know what you are trying to do here but I would appreciate if you could mind your manners here.

McBudu said...

I also wish I could be like that couple in my golden years ahead (if any). That beautiful Love is the only thing we got when reaching that stage, I guess. The time when we can make make up for the long lost time.... how wondefull

Unknown said...

Hi NaNa,

I do hold my hubby's hands often at malls..but that must be becuz I'm still young..he he!

Yes! That couple you saw must be so lucky to still be in love at that age...ahh...how wonderful kan? Love the poem. So touching.

NaNa said...

Dear Anon,

To me it's sweet when couples especially married ones hold hands.

There's nothing wrong in showing affection... :)

NaNa said...

Dear MB,

To have love when we are in our golden years would be wonderful.

Have you seen CINTA? That movie shows us that age does not diminish one's capacity for love or need for companionship.

NaNa said...

Hi Kak Ruby,

Of course you are still young.. :) As they say, age is just a matter of numbers. Who's counting, anyway.

Well, my husband and I still hold hands when we walk. But lately, my daughter insists that she goes in between us.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem. :-)

I'm sorry about your friend, Dahlia. May she rests in peace.

NaNa said...

Hi Puteri,

Thanks for visiting and for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Hello Nana, nice posting. It brings to mind that each time one loves is the only time one has ever loved. Difference of object does not alter singleness of passion.
It merely intensifies it.
We can have but one great experience at best, and the secret of life is to reproduce that experience as often as possible.
Best regards to you,
A stranger who paused here.

J.T. said...

Hi Nana

I love the poem. So beautiful and sincere.

Thanks for sharing.

Pak Idrus said...

Nana, we, my spouse and me have been married for more then forty years. We celebrated our 40th Anniversary in 2002 with the kids and grandkids.

It has been a wonderful journey together. Like all journey it had to be colorful for what a journey if it is just in black and white. We enjoyed each other company and are moving on in our golden years.

We hold hands when we first met and we still do it now. Why not!!. We aged together thus we are of the same age as we go along.

Well life is like that. To quote Virgil " Love conquers all things " Have a nice day and take care.

NaNa said...

Anon @ 2.29am

Thanks for pausing here and for the wonderful comments.

I wish there is a guide on how to reproduce the great feelings. It takes a lot of ingredients and many secret recipes for that to happen. :)

Again TQ, and do come again.

NaNa said...

Hi JT,

I love poems and that is one of my favorites. Glad that you like it.

NaNa said...

Dear Pak Idrus,

Thanks very much for dropping by. I am honoured.

How nice of you to still do that. I wish that my husband and I will keep on holding each others' hands like you and your wife even when we have our cucu(s) nanti.

Good attitudes can be contagious and hopefully when it can be passed to the next generations.